Please note: This call is closed.
Hereon and Helmholtz Imaging are looking for a postdoctoral researcher in the field of machine learning:
New membranes for the separation of substances are being developed with experiments and simulations at the Institute of Membrane Research. In past years, the evaluation of large experimental datasets by means of machine learning has become increasingly important. Within the project COMPUTING, we aim to uncover correlations between parameters and structures that remain hidden in individual experiments in order to advance the understanding of processing-structure-property-relationships of polymer membranes. For this, we will establish machine-learning-based data evaluation methods for large sets of microscopic images and fabrication parameters. Developing novel machine learning architectures and modifying published methods will be a key task in this position. The project is a collaborative effort with the Institute of Material Systems Modelling at Hereon and the Helmholtz Imaging Support Unit at DKFZ.
We are looking for a data scientist, computer scientist, physicist or engineer with a PhD-degree as soon as possible. This position is initially limited to 15 months due to the project’s funding, with a high chance for extension in further projects. The place of work is the Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon in Geesthacht. Part of the work can be conducted via home office.
Equal opportunity is an important part of our personnel policy. We would therefore strongly encourage qualified women to apply for the position. In principle, the position is also sharable.
- analysis of experimental and digital processes in membrane research
- design and implementation of machine learning architectures for the evaluation of large scientific datasets
- advancing existing machine learning models
- combination of machine learning architectures with physico-chemical models
- validation of your results in collaboration with polymer membrane scientists
- close collaboration with other members of the COMPUTING project team
- publication and presentation of your scientific results in journals and at international conferences and workshops
Your professional profile:
- scientific university education and PhD degree in data science, computer science, physics, engineering or related disciplines
- very good coding skills in Python
- profound knowledge of Python machine learning libraries (e.g., Keras, PyTorch or TensorFlow)
- experience in Artificial Neural Networks and Kernel-Ridge-Regression / Support-Vector-Machines
- experience in statistical methods and methods of data science
- background in object-oriented programming preferable
- fluency in spoken and written English
- experience with scientific methods, project planning, publications and presentations
- German language skills are an advantage
Your personal profile:
- systematic and goal-oriented way of working
- sense of responsibility and a high demand for quality in your work
- ability to tackle complex problems and to think outside the box
- joy of working in a small team and flexibility regarding the tasks involved
- proactive communication skills
- openness to an international and dynamic working environment in science
- willingness to familiarize yourself with new topics, e.g. polymer chemistry and membrane technology
We offer you
- an exciting and varied job in a research centre with more than 1,100 employees from around 50 nations
- a well connected research campus and best networking opportunities
- individual opportunities for further training
- social benefits according to the collective agreement of the public service and remuneration
- an excellent technical infrastructure and modern workplace equipment
- 6 weeks holiday per year and company holidays between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- very good compatibility private and professional life through offers of mobile and flexible work
- family-friendly company policy with childcare facilities, e. g. nursery close to the company
- free assistance program for employees (EAP)
- Corporate Benefits
- a varied offer in the canteen on campus
Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Then we are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents (cover letter, CV, transcripts, certificates etc.) indicating the reference number code no. 2023/PM 1 until 20.08.2023.
(This job posting was published by Hereon.)